I received this email today and thought I should pass it along. Farmers Branch has not been scheduled for spraying yet, There is a daily update HERE if and when your city in the Dallas area will be sprayed. I will need to purchase protection my aquaponics systems and some of my garden beds, but now is the time to get prepared.
The pesticide being sprayed is Duet. I read that t
he product breaks down very quickly when exposed to sunlight. Therefore, residue on plants and other treated surfaces should be short lived and considered 'gone' when everything is dry.
As you may know by now, Farmers Branch is one of the cities that has opted for aerial spraying to help eliminate mosquitoes because it is a very effective and safe way to kill adult mosquitoes in large, densely populated areas. However, no schedule for spraying has yet been announced.
However, for people concerned about exposure during aerial spraying, health officials suggest the following precautions:
- Minimize exposure. Avoid being outside, close windows and keep pets (dogs, cats, rabbits, birds, etc.) inside while spraying occurs.
- The spray, Duet, is mainly a permethrin-based spray. Permethrin can cause sickness and death in cats. Therefore, if you have a cat, please keep it indoors on the nights spraying will be done.
- Do not enter sprayed areas until the area is dry.
- If skin or clothes are exposed, wash them with soap and water.
- Rinse homegrown fruits and vegetables with water prior to consumption as a general precautionary measure.
- Cover small ornamental fish ponds. Permethrin will kill fish and other aquatic life, and is toxic to water turtles and land turtles, terrapins, tortoises.
- Bring watering dishes and feeding dishes indoors. If not, then replace such dishes if they have been left outdoors.
- Because the chemical breaks down quickly in sunlight and water, no special precautions are suggested for outdoor swimming areas.
- During spraying, residents are encouraged to stay indoors.
- If you are in your vehicle in an area being sprayed, roll up your windows and turn on the air conditioning until the spray is no longer visible.
- Keep windows closed and fans turned off during spraying. Using AC is fine.
- Duet kills bees, butterflies, etc. so if you have plants to attract such insects the plants should be covered.