Impulse Purchase, The American Beauty Berry

For some logical reason I added "nursery" on my to-list this weekend to just 'look'. Clearly, I did not leave there empty handed. I'm not sure why I love North Haven Gardens so much, but I do. It's like my mall.


This was my yard last fall. Don't you love the grass? I do, but that area doesn't get much sun which they need. They never grew back in the spring, and I just didn't get around to replacing them. It might have been denial that I thought they would come back. 

That was my light-bulb moment during my almost impulse stop at the NHG. I had no idea what to add until I came across America Beauty Berry. I love that you can find them growing naturally in east Texas. They do get rather large, about 6 ft by 6ft! However, I read that you can chop them down each winter.


Isn't the berry great color?! Can't wait to make jelly with the berries!

davesgarden.com

This is what they grow to look like. A little too unruly for my liking but I'm planning on trimming. I read that it's good to trim as the berries only grow on new growth. 

I also planted one in the backyard, hoping it just goes crazy! I also bought veggies and leafy greens to added to the garden. It's just doesn't make for the better story. 

Here's a really great video on the american beauty berry, eattheweeds.com, I signed myself up: 


Native berries in my front yard is pretty rad and simple. 



Labels: ,