It's day 717 of the aquaponics system. I haven't been writing much about it, and there's a reason for that: I failed. How many tilapia have I eaten? Z.E.R.O. I buried the last two tilapia last week, and it sucks.
Here lies the current state of the system. Everything was planted in November which is pitiful. I had some growth with cauliflower and broccoli, but the lettuce bolted with little to no growth. You can read about my first challenges here.
I'm debating on calling it quits or making an attempt to fix it. I'm thinking once the edible forest garden is somewhat stable, I can focus on fixing the system for new fish. And by new fish, I mean cheap gold fish. Overnighting tilapia has a nicer price tag than I'm will to pay for again.
Here are a few of my good/terrible excuses:
- The greenhouse is too small to work in.
- It was a really cold winter.
- I've gone through 4 heaters and two rounds of compost worms. Can I afford this?
- The system isn't as self-sustaining or low maintenance as I thought.
- I don't know what's wrong.
- This is harder than I thought.
- I don't eat fish now anyway.
- I have a lot going on right now.
The excuses get worse from there. So, I don't know what I'm going to do. Aquaponics is a great system. I was successful at some point of this journey.
if you'd like to read about my aquaponics system.
credits: photo was taken by me